Saturday, November 18, 2006

Farmstand Vegetables - Thursday 11/15/2006


I didn't intend this to be my photo for the day. It just happens to be the only one I took. I took it to remind myself what went into the impromptu veggie dish I made. Good food shots are a whole 'nother art form. This was much better than it looks.

I stopped by the farmstand on Sierra Highway at Vasquez Canyon Road with the intention of mixing up my bad veggie habits a bit. You can only be expected to eat so many servings of broccoli or brussels sprouts before beginning to form an aversion.

So... I picked out a bunch of likely looking stuff, and here's the recipe. It was very good hot, and very good cold. Watch out Franklin Stove, this may be part of our next meeting's meal!

Farmstand Veggies

1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 large yellow crook-neck squash
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 large ear of sweet corn, cut from the cob
1/4 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup black olives, finely chopped
3-4 leaves fresh basil or 1-2 tsp dried

Sautee the garlic and onions in a large skillet till the onions are translucent. Add the squash, pepper, corn, tomato and black olives. Cook until the squash is obviously cooked--it gets a little translucent too. Add the basil and cook another 2-3 minutes.

I'm not sure if you really need the tomato. Or you could use a whole one. I just had that much left over from something else and tossed it in. What makes this different is the chopped olives. I'd had them in a pasta dish over the weekend and though it would be good in this mix. Mmm!

No comments: