Sunday, November 12, 2006

Janis Ian - Friday 11/10/2006


We'd just sworn off going to concerts for a while, when we found out Janis Ian would be at McCabe's. McCabe's is hands down my favorite place to see live music.

I figured I was going to see an icon because she was an icon, kind of. I own one CD of hers, the fairly recent God and the FBI.

I was in middle school or high school when At Seventeen came out and I thought the narrator of that song should just call her friends and get off her butt and stop waiting for someone to hand her a good time.

What a generous, funny, amazingly talented performer she is. She came down the stairs to the stage already playing a riff on her cordlessly-miked acoustic guitar and told us a story before launching into the first song. I love getting a little info about the artist and/or the music.

I only took a couple of shots, and feel extremely lucky that this turned out at all.

She sings lots of sad, sad songs as well as funny ones. If I hung around her, I am sure I would spend all my time trying to make her smile like this. Electric.

No comments: