Thursday, November 16, 2006

This Is My Brain - Wednesday 11/15/2006




This is my brain on NaNoWriMo:



Near as I can figure, all this creative output has nearly nixed my ability to sleep. So far I've actually had more energy than usual.

In spite of waking up early or in the middle of the night, with my characters asking me how they are going to deal with what I'm going to put them through next. Actually, I think they're strong enough to cope with it, if I'm strong enough to give them a real challenge.

I told a very peripheral acquaintence about NaNoWriMo yesterday, but I didn't explain it right, and I woke up at 1 am this morning with a sinus headache, worrying that this guy thinks I'm a dilettante. What kind of moron thinks she can write a novel in a month? No one, it's just a first draft...

Oh, for PETE'S SAKE. Lighten up.

Manic energy can be a very handy thing.

On the other hand, it seems that it can turn on you when you least expect it.

[Note to my mom, and any other safety conscious individuals: the 75 mph photo was taken from the passenger seat of Hydra's Tahoe.]

6 comments:

the last noel said...

Oh, you're doing Nano? I need to jump onto this bandwagon.

Liz Dwyer said...

Yeah, I (unfortunately) would be the one to take the picture while I was driving.

It is hard to explain Nano to someone who doesn't write. All they can comment is, "Oh. One month? That sounds crazy!"

Anonymous said...

I thought about you this weekend, SK. And it relates to this post, I guess.

I wondered if writers' characters were a reflection of the extremes of their personality spectrums.

Not really sure about what I mean but I guess I can only explain it by pointing out fictional characters seem to have that "one thing" about them that sets them apart. So, is that "one thing" a reflection of you as the person you are, want to be or avoid being?

mltt

Sundry said...

It's funny, I was just thinking about this over the weekend. We must have been in sync, mltt!

I started out to make these characters both fairly different from me. Younger, more fit, with different hang ups.

But then they started manifesting some of my issues. Damn them.

I guess I'd say, generally, yes. They are not me, but they are a way for me to think about parts of my personality that I am not entirely at peace with. If they aren't working through something I care about, I think I run the risk of making them behave in inauthentic ways.

For me, it's like acting...pulling that little thread out of yourself that relates to the character and expanding on it.

Anonymous said...

Authenticity. Perfect...word.

Thank you for sharing, SK. See you on 43T!

mltt

Anonymous said...

That's not me doing 75 miles per hour in a 65 zone. We were all in the back seat officer, except the parrot. He did it! You can't trust "The Artful Dodger."