Friday, February 29, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture? - Thursday 2/28/2008


I started taking New York magazine because I had unused frequent flier miles sitting in an account and the program said I could spend them on free subscriptions. Now pounds of glossy paper arrive in my mailbox each week.

I'm trying to figure out why this cover and the inside photo spread that recreates Marilyn Monroe's last photo shoot upset me so much. Lindsay Lohan is beautiful and her body is at its prime, why shouldn't we all have a look since she's willing to share?

It just feels dangerous to me to dress the famously troubled Lohan up like Marilyn Monroe in this context. What exactly is this reenactment promoting?

If (I just edited out the word "when") Lohan kills herself in a few years, how proud will Bert Stern and New York magazine feel that they put her up to this? You can bet it'll be touted as prescient.

I'm not promoting censorship, I'm just questioning the wisdom of the publisher and photographer. It just gives me a stomach ache and I'm honestly questioning why.

I'm conflicted about whether to link to the photographs online or not. I've edited and re-edited this post several times. To link or not to link?

If I do, more people may go click on the images and give the magazine the idea that they support its decision based merely on interest in the material.

If I don't, I'm not giving you all the information you need to understand what I'm talking about.

In the spirit of free speech and debate, here's the link to the Lohan/Stern photos.

I hope you'll take a minute to tell me if you think I'm overreacting or on the ball, or somewhere in between.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My very first reaction to the Lindsey pics was "She ain't no Marilyn". So S, forget the pictures. What does that say about me?

Bells

Sundry said...

That's the same thing Hydra said! I think it says that you both sensed someone was trying to put one over on you.

Seems like further evidence that their similarities have more to do with their destructive relationships with fame. (But then, once I have a bone, it's really hard to get it away from me sometimes!)

the last noel said...

Marilyn was 36 when she did the shoot. Lohan looks like a girl dressed in her mother's clothing.